Price and service information for probate matters
At odonnells, we aim to provide our clients with a clear and transparent structure to our charges. When dealing with the administration of an estate, we offer our clients two services depending on how much involvement they would like from us. These are as follows:
- Grant Only
This service requires the least input from us, and is based on the executor/administrator providing us with valuations for all assets and liabilities in a non-taxable estate, which we can then use to make the application for Probate, (if there is a Will), or Letters of Administration, (if there is no Will). Once the Grant is issued, we will hand it to the executor/administrator for them to continue with the administration and distribution of the estate themselves.
This service does not include advice as to any of the following (this list is not exhaustive):
- Inheritance tax;
- Capital gains tax;
- Valuation of assets;
- Paying liabilities/legacies;
- Claims by creditors;
- Claims made under Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975;
- Missing beneficiaries;
- Foreign assets;
- Deeds of Variation;
- Distribution of the estate;
- Entitlement under intestacy;
- Interpretation of a Will.
Cost – £750.00 plus vat, and disbursements (see below for information about disbursements).
- Full Administration of an Estate
This is a complete service, and allows you the peace of mind to hand all the paperwork to us for us to manage. It may include some or all of the following, but the specific requirements of each individual estate will be discussed at a first meeting with you:
- Advice as to contents of a Will, or advice as to intestacy rules;
- Corresponding with all beneficiaries and executors/administrators;
- Searching for a lost will;
- Locating missing beneficiaries;
- Valuation of all assets known to the Personal Representative;
- Advice as to the payment of inheritance tax;
- Completion of relevant HM Revenue & Customs form;
- Application for Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration;
- Closing accounts or transferring assets;
- Settling liabilities and paying legacies;
- Completion of estate accounts;
- Distribution of the estate.
For this service we can offer two options for payment, as follows:-
- Based on time spent by us working on the matter. The estate will be charged at an hourly rate, (see below for current rates), for as long as it takes to complete the administration of the estate. We have a minimum charge of £1,500.00 plus vat, and disbursements, and once we have met to discuss the complexities of the estate, will be in a better position to give a more detailed quote.
- A fixed fee. This will usually be based on 2% of the value of the gross estate, plus vat and disbursements, but the rate can be amended at our discretion, depending on the complexities of the estate. Once we are in a position to apply for the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration, we should have a value for all of the assets in the estate, and can give a more fixed quote at this point. With this option, we reserve the right to increase our fees, should a significant number of additional assets be discovered, after the issuing of the Grant.
Sometimes issues are not limited to dealing with probate, because for example, disputes arise, or there may be special aspects, such as a foreign element or enquiries by the Department of Work and Pensions.
We will always provide a detailed cost estimate in writing, following our first meeting with you.
All fees quoted are exclusive of any third party or conveyancing costs, which may be incurred, as a result of administering the estate. Eg, the cost of selling a house.
Our hourly charge out rates referred to above are as follows, plus VAT:
J Gale LLB, P Curran LLB (partners and senior solicitors) £180.00.
K Bradley (senior solicitor) £160.00.
R Muncaster (solicitor) £146.00.
K Nickson (solicitor) £160.00.
Trainee solicitors and paralegals £111.00.
Disbursements are payments we must make from the estate, in order to properly deal with the matter, and may include the following, but this list is not exhaustive. The amounts listed may increase. We have no control over these amounts, as they are charged by other people/companies:-
Oath fees of £5, plus £2 for each exhibit, for each executor/administrator
£155 probate fee
50p per copy probate requested